The Art Walk is a self-guided tour featuring the many artistic creations inside and outside of the library. These locally created works of art are one of a kind and include such pieces as:
- The Thesaurus statue
- The Butterfly Bench in the library's butterfly garden
- The Butterfly Garden Gate
- The Dancer sculpture
- Displays from local artists in various mediums
- Nature Trails
- Much, much more!
Come inside to pick up an Art Walk brochure to start your tour!
Tye Preston Memorial Library hosts Astronomy Night for all ages at our Observatory, just up the hill from the library. Astronomy night's include a short, entertaining presentation by the New Braunfels Astronomy Club, followed with viewings through the telescopes! Astronomy Night happens whether it's cloudy or clear!
A bird feeder webcam to keep track of which birds are visiting the Tye Preston Memorial Library.
There are many people to thank for this fun addition to the library:
- The idea for the webcam originated with George Eanes, owner of Wildbirds Unlimited at 1659 TX 46 West, New Braunfels, TX 78132. He generously donated the tray feeder and stand.
- We are grateful to the Friends of TPML for providing the funds to pay for the webcam equipment and installation costs.
- Finally, thanks to Tony Acerra of Tosuma, Inc., our IT consultant who always finds a way to make our ideas a reality.
Besides being beautiful to watch, butterflies play an important role in nature's plan by carrying pollen from plant to plant. Because their local habitat is decreasing due to population growth, increased building, pollution and the use of pesticides, butterfly gardens are an increasingly popular way for humans to please themselves while helping the environment.
Tye Preston Memorial Library is located within the Monarch's migration path. The butterfly garden acts as a waystation for migrating Monarch Butterflies, where they are able to get the necessary resources they need. The butterfly garden was planted with these butterflies in mind, utilizing plants that are especially attractive to Monarchs.
The Children's Playground includes a variety of fun features for children of all ages to play with. Play on the Reading Railroad or ride on Gallagher the Grasshopper. Play in the sandbox located near the musical flowers and xylophone or play with wooden blocks. You can even get artistic with some chalk!
The library offers a wide range of programs for all ages:
- French Club (Adult)
- Craft and skill classes (Various ages)
- Dungeons & Dragons (All Ages)
- Youth Game Night (5-17)
- Anime Club (Teens)
- Storytime (0-6)
- Lunch & Learn (Adult)
- 3D Printing Club (Adult)
- Tech Classes (Various ages)
- Teen Hangout (Teen)
- Robotics (Various ages)
- Genealogy (Adult)
- Golden Girls Widows Club (Adult)
- Book Clubs (Teen, Adult)
- and more!